Brought to you by Timeless Treasures Antique Mall
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:14:31 EST Earlier this month, almost 100 people were evacuated from a Scottsdale treatment and rehabilitation center after an unusual smell was noticed by the building's occupants. The local fire department responded and evacuated the center that provides services to teens and adults who have cognitive and intellectual disabilities.
Sixteen people were treated at a local hospital, but none suffered serious damages. Emergency responders detected high levels of carbon monoxide (CO). Upon further investigation an open pipe was discovered in an underground vault that was releasing the deadly gas.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 'Unintentional CO exposure accounts for an estimated 15,000 emergency department visits and 500 unintentional deaths in the United States each year.'
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-irritating, but potentially lethal gas produced during the combustion of liquid, solid, and gaseous fuels. CO may be produced from any furnace fired by fuel, wood stoves, kerosene heaters, gas stoves, and fireplaces. Other common sources include exhaust from motor vehicles, and emissions from charcoal grills and fuel-powered yard equipment. The most common causes of elevated CO levels in buildings are poorly vented or malfunctioning heaters and furnaces.
One company that has been at the forefront of helping people identify dangerous carbon monoxide levels in buildings is IAQ Index. The company has developed a series of easy to use home test kits that identify CO and a host of other potential indoor air quality (IAQ) contaminants.
'Short-term effects of CO exposure are related to the CO concentration, the duration of exposure, and a person's health status,' reported Bruce Jacobs, CIH, President of IAQ Index. 'Common symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, fatigue, heart palpitations, nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, mental confusion, rapid heartbeat, visual disturbances, and muscle twitch. At very high levels, unconsciousness and death may result.'
To learn more about testing for carbon monoxide or other indoor air quality (IAQ) contaminants, please visit IAQ Index at http://www.IAQIndex.com, email info@IAQIndex.com or call (888) 259-3883.
About IAQ Index
IAQ Index was developed by a Certified Industrial Hygienist with decades of experience dealing with indoor air quality issues. IAQ Index was developed as a health-based, easy-to-understand, air quality index that is calculated from data generated for various parameters commonly measured during IAQ surveys. The approach is similar to the EPA's Air Quality Index that has been used historically to communicate the risks posed by common pollutants in the ambient air.
Earlier this month, almost 100 people were evacuated from a Scottsdale treatment and rehabilitation center after an unusual smell was noticed by the building's occupants. The local fire department responded and evacuated the center that provides services to teens and adults who have cognitive and intellectual disabilities.